Terry Sherman joined us for a Google Hangout in February of 2013 to talk with us about support raising for missionaries.
During the 1.5 hours session Terry addressed many of the mentalities that come along with support raising including:
- Short Term vs Long Term Thinking
- Feeling Like a Beggar
- Thinking that “Just Getting By” is Good Enough
- Missions is not a “Real Job”
- Missionaries need to embrace Support Raising as part of their ministry
Terry also gave six practical steps for missionary fund raising:
- Get a personal understanding about the spiritual aspect of money
- Know your calling and put your core message into one sentence
- Cast you vision as far and wide as possible
- Make a plan of action including a budget and communications plan
- Find an accountability and prayer partner
- Invite people to partner with you as personally and intimately as possible
At the end of the session Terry also answered live questions from the chat room.
Terry Sherman has also changed her e-mail address since the recording of her video, her new address is sherryterman @ gmail . com.
Books recommended by Terry Sherman:
- ‘Funding Your Ministry’ (whether you’re gifted or not) by Scott Morton
- ‘Daring to Live on the Edge’ by Loren Cunningham
- ‘Friendraising” by Betty Barnett
- ‘Funding the Family Business’ by Myles Wilson
- ‘The Spirituality of Fundraising” by Henri Nouwen
- ‘Serving as Senders’ by Neal Pirolo – for church mission committees, home front teams, etc.
- ‘Wealth, Riches and Money’ by Craig Hill and Earl Pitts
- ‘Getting Sent’ – A Relational Approach to Support Raising by Pete Sommer
- ‘More than Money, More than Faith’ by Paul I. Johnson
- “Viewpoints: Fresh Perspectives on Personal Support Raising” by Steve Shadrach
Web-site and Resources mentioned by Terry:
- Terry’s dropbox full of resources
- YWAM eLearning
- You Caring – a place where you can have a fundraising web page for free, using PayPal as the means to receive funds.
- Asking Matters – you can find out what your asking style is plus other resources
- Support Raising Solutions – tools and resources for raising support (American)
- Stewardship: Transforming Generosity – many good resources and information (UK)